2007年12月10日月曜日

A weekend with Kaori's family :) part 1

This past weekend I was invited to spend it when Kaori's family. We drove up on Saturday morning and stayed until Sunday night. They showed me around the area and we went on a day trip to the Oita prefecture just north of Miyazaki prefecture. I got to experience their home life and learn more about her family.

Saturday we, Kaori, her two sisters, and I traveled up to Hyuga, where her parent's live. Her father has lived in the same house sense he was a high school student. We pasted the high school and middle school where all of Kaori's sisters and her went to school. Their hows was old but very large and nice and comfy. They had many flowers because Kaori's grandma really enjoys planting flowers. They also had two small fields where they planted veggies and fruits. Her mom grows azuki beans, red beans that you mix with sugar to create a sweet dessert, green tea, soba, and many other veggies. The community they live in is a little country side community. All of the neighbors know each other and stop by to chat anytime. I meet a few of them :) It was really nice to see such a tightly close knit community.

After meeting a few neighbors, relaxing and chatting, and playing with their little bunny Kerosuke-chan, we went and toured around the area near by. The ocean here is really beautiful and clear. We drove around this loop that stopped at many of the popular view points. After doing a bit of sightseeing, we went to pick up ingredients for dinner. They taught me how to make Chicken Nanban, a famous Miyazaki dish. It is a lot of fun, and relitavely easy! I want to teach and cook some U.S dishes for them as well. We also ate hand rolled sushi. It works kinda like making your own burrito. Add rice, pick the insides and roll it up. I ate way too much, and it is a trend that followed through the whole weekend. I think it is time for me to take up jogging again.

Once we finished eating we all sat around and chatted for a bit, and ate cake... I helped teach them some English words and they helped me with some Japanese. The whole day was a lot of fun and exciting. Thank you so much everyone ! :)
Next time: Sunday, the trip to Oita prefecture and beyond!

0 件のコメント: